Moving Down Countdown
8 weeks Before the Move
· Contact a professional mover or truck rental and get estimate: make early reservations.
· Decide what furniture stays and what furniture goes.
· Use up things cannot be moved (frozen food & flammable household aerosol cleaning supplies)
6 Weeks Before the Move
· Inventory your possessions and determine what will be sold or donated.
· Get copies of records from doctors, dentist, lawyer, accountants, etc.
· Transfer Children’s school records.
4 Weeks Before the Move
· Hold a garage sale then arrange for storage, if you need it.
3 Weeks Before the Move
· Assemble package materials: dolly, scissors, packing tape, bubble wrap, newspaper, rope, boxes, etc.
· Begin packing items you will not need.
· Arrange cancellation of utilities at old home and have them installed at the new home.
· Make travel and hotel reservations. (if needed)
· Get your car checked and serviced for the trip.
1 Week Before the Move
· Transfer all medical prescriptions to the pharmacy in your new location.
· Return library books and videos, send out dry-cleaning and pick up after the move.
· Finnish major packing labeling boxes by contents and room destinations.
2 or 3 days Before the Move
· Defrost Refrigerator
· Have cash on hand
· Pack weekend bag in case of delay
· Pack a First Day handy Items box: scissors, utility knife, coffee cups, tea kettle, paper plates, paper towels, instant coffee, tea, soft drinks, water, soap, pencils, pens, paper, local phone book, bath towels & toiletries kit.
· Pick up rental truck early.
· Inspect basement, attic, and garage.
· Turn off water, lock all doors and windows.
· List every item loaded onto the truck to use for a check list as they come off.